I love it when clients and followers give me yummy recipe ideas, like this Tofu Tikka Masala! I’ll admit we don’t cook tofu all that often at home. I guess I’ve never really found a tofu recipe that has blown me away. I’d say this one is pretty darn close to doing that!
This dish is totally appropriate for little ones as well, as it’s SPICED without being SPICY. Give it a try and let me know what you think!
*Note: You could easily substitute chicken or chickpeas in this recipe, or do a combo!
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 normal package extra-firm tofu
- 1 tbsp oil (coconut works well for the flavour)
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch ginger, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, quartered (or 1 14 oz. can diced tomatoes, drained)
- 1 can coconut milk (full fat; ~1 3/4 cups)
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp coconut sugar (optional but recommended)
- salt and pepper to taste
- freshly squeezed lemon juice to taste
- chopped fresh cilantro to taste
- Mix spice blend together.
- Pat tofu dry and cut into small cubes.
- Heat oil in Instant Pot on Sauté setting. Add onions and cook until translucent. Add garlic, ginger and cook for another minute. Then add spices from spice mixture and cook another 30 seconds.
- Add bell pepper and tomato paste and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Then add tomatoes and cook for another 1-2 minutes until soft. Turn off the heat.
- Add tofu cubes, coconut milk, white wine vinegar, soy sauce and coconut sugar and stir to combine.
- Cook on low slow cooker setting for 4-6 hours, OR high for 2-3 hours OR save yourself some time and cook on High Pressure for 20 minutes.
- After cooking, season with salt, lemon juice and fresh cilantro. Serve with rice or naan.