I’m not going to lie: zucchini is not my favourite vegetable. I don’t mind it, but I would choose almost any other veggie before choosing it. But…put it into a fritter and I’m SOLD!
These zucchini fritters couldn’t be easier to make. They’re also a great way to get your non-veggie loving child to try zucchini. It seems a little less threatening this way vs. straight up.
- 2 medium sized zucchini (or 1 large one)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup chives or green onions, chopped
- 1 egg
- dash of pepper (or more if you really like it!)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- oil for frying (I like avocado or olive oil)
- Cut off ends of zucchini and grate it into a large bowl.
- Sprinkle very slightly with salt and set aside for 15 mins.
- After 15 mins., get a cloth or paper towel and squeeze grates zucchini to try to remove as much moisture as possible. Sometimes I’m lazy and skip this whole water removal step.
- Add remainder of salt, chopped onion or chives, egg and pepper and stir.
- Add flour and baking powder and stir until combined.
- Heat oil (approx. 2 tbsp) in a cast-iron or non-stick pan and scoop zucchini mixture out into mounds approx. 1/4 cup in size. Flatten slightly with a spatula or spoon.
- Cook for 4-5 mins. on each side, until golden brown. Reduce heat if they brown too quickly.
- Serve on their own or with a yogurt, lemon and garlic dipping sauce and enjoy!