My toddler and preschooler have BIG appetites, especially when it comes to snacks. I think they take after their mama.
I’m always in search of nutritious on-the-go snacks for these guys, and let’s face it, for myself too. There are some pretty decent packaged options these days, but there’s something really nice about throwing a snack together without having to crack open a box or bag.
These Puffed Quinoa Power Balls are SO easy (and fun!) to make, and the end result won’t disappoint. Quinoa is a good source of iron and protein, both of which are important for little growing bodie…and busy mamas!
- 1 cup quinoa, dry
- 1 cup nut butter (I used peanut butter)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened dried coconut
- 1/4 cup hemp hearts
- 1.5 tbsp honey (*omit if giving to an under 1-year-old; add more if you like it sweeter)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Make your puffed quinoa. To do this, get a large pot (ideally a deep one) and bring it up to a nice hot temperature (medium-high). Pour dry quinoa in and try to ensure that it is thinly spread (if your pot is too small you may need to do this in 2 separate batches). Allow quinoa to eat until you hear it snap, crackle and pop! *It’s important to keep moving the pot from side to side so the quinoa doesn’t burn. This entire step should only take about 2 mins. Once your quinoa has turned to a darker shade of brown and popped (but not burnt), remove from heat, set aside and let cool.
- Add popped quinoa to a large bowl with remaining ingredients. Still well.
- Form into small balls, place on a tray or plate, and freeze for 30-60 mins.