Hands up if your ideal dinner is quick, easy, nutritious AND only requires one (yes you heard that right) pot to clean up? Either I’ve gotten busier or lazier, but this one gets an enthusiastic hands up from me.
I made this for my family last night as a healthy, filling, pre-gorging-on-Halloween-treats meal and we all loved it. It’s like the ultimate comfort meal without having to loosen your pants a notch afterwards.
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1 small zucchini, shredded
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 bell pepper (any colour), choppped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 large can diced tomatoes
- 3 cups water or low-sodium chicken broth
- 10 lasagna noodles (almost a full package of regular style, not oven ready), broken into pieces
- large handful of baby spinach
- 1 cup shredded cheese of your choice (I used mozzarella and cheddar)
- In a large pot, cook the ground turkey until slightly browned.
- Add all veggies and garlic and cook for 5 mins., stirring occasionally until turkey is fully browned and veggies are slightly tender.
- Add spices, stir and cook for 1 min.
- Add tomatoes, water/broth and broken noodles and stir well.
- Simmer uncovered over medium heat for approx. 15 mins, until noodles have softened. Throw spinach in near the end of the 15 mins.
- Remove from heat, sprinkle with cheese and serve!