I’ve always been fond of lentils. I love how they’re nutrition powerhouses, yet so cheap and versatile. I once attended a cooking class put on by Canadian Lentils and it kindof blew my mind how many ways lentils could be used in cooking: in soups, smoothies, even fudge (oh you heard that right, and yes it’s delicious!).
These Mini Cinna-Lentil Muffins are so great for little eaters. Pack a couple in your toddler or preschooler’s lunch or snack, or even make them into mini cupcakes for your little one’s birthday!
- 3/4 cup cooked red lentils
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup flour
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Mash lentils in a large mixing bowl with a fork.
- Add sugar, applesauce, eggs, vanilla and oil and mix just to combine.
- In a separate bowl mix dry ingredients.
- Add dry ingredients to lentil mix and blend until combined. Don’t overmix.
- Spoon batter into mini muffin tins (grease if metal; I use silicone so I don’t bother) and bake for 12-14 mins. Do the toothpick test to see if done*
*Insert a toothpick into the centre of a muffin. If it comes out clean, it’s done! If batter clings to the toothpick, continue baking slightly longer.