I love starting out a busy week with muffins on hand for kids’ snacks (and for myself!). Here’s a super simple muffin recipe that has never failed me. It’s also very versatile, so feel free to substitute items you prefer. I like adding veggies to muffins when I can. Not in a “sneaky’ way (actually one of the most common questions I get asked by parents is how to sneak more veggies into their kids’ foods), just as a way of boosting the nutrients and to be honest, sometimes I need to use up veggies that are past their prime!
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1 small zuccini, shredded
- 1/3 cup oil (I like using avocado oil)
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut (unsweetened)
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds (you could easily omit this, or use a different nut or seed)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease 12 muffin tins (I skip this step as I have a silicone muffin tray).
- Mix first 6 ingredients (the wet ones).
- Add dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Try not to overmix!
- Scoop batter into prepared muffin tins.
- Bake for approx. 20 mins. If unsure if done, insert a toothpick into the baked muffin. It should come out clean. Allow muffins to cool for 10-20 mins before removing them.